Knight Media Forum
Strengthening local news, community and democracy
FEBRUARY 25-26, 2020
Detroit Public TV is proud to partner with the Knight Foundation for the second year in providing the live-stream of the Knight Media Forum, two informative and inspiring days of deep discussion and provocative debate on the future of journalism and its importance to the American democracy.
The Knight Media Forum is widely recognized as the most important annual gathering of journalists, funders, information theorists and others passionately concerned about the health of the news media in this country.
Detroit Public TV will live-stream the conference on February 25-26 and provide the stream to organizations concerned with the future of news and its impact on our democracy.
Anchoring the coverage was Emmy-winning journalist, Hari Sreenivasan, anchor of “PBS NewsHour Weekend” and the national public television show “SciTech Now.”
Get Notified! To get notified each time a session goes live, text “KMF” to 313131. To select a particular session visit http://dptv.org/kmfnotify.
TUESDAY, FEB. 25
9:10 a.m.: Welcome
- Alberto Ibargüen, President, Knight Foundation
9:30 – 10:30 a.m.: How communities will compete and succeed in the 21st century
- André Dua, Senior Partner, New York, McKinsey and Company; Karen Freeman-Wilson, Former Mayor, Gary, Indiana; Brian Hooks, President, Charles Koch Foundation and Stand Together; Mariam Noland, President, Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan. Introduction: Lilly Weinberg, Director, Community Foundations, Knight Foundation
12:15 – 2 p.m.: Recode Decode: A conversation with Univision’s Jorge Ramos
- Jorge Ramos, Anchor, Journalist, Univision; Kara Swisher, Co-founder, Recode and New York Times Contributor. Introduction: Jennifer Preston, Vice President/Journalism, Knight Foundation. This plenary will be taped for an upcoming episode of Swisher’s podcast.
2 – 3 p.m.: Bringing local reporting and solutions to your community
- Liza Gross, Solutions Journalism; Charlie Sennott, Report for America; Introduction: Jennifer Preston, Knight Foundation. Scribe: Emma Gilchrist, The Narwhal
3 – 4 p.m.: Emerging models for building local journalism
- David Hulen, Editor, Anchorage Daily News; Paul Huntsman, Publisher and Owner, Salt Lake Tribune; and Fraser Nelson, VP of Business Innovation, Salt Lake Tribune; Diane Kaplan, CEO, Rasmuson Foundation; Moderator: Julie Sandorf, President, Charles H. Revson Foundation
4 – 5 p.m.: The internet unleashed: The growing challenge of hateful content online
- Safiya Umoja Noble, Associate Professor, UCLA; Talal Ansari, Reporter, The Wall Street Journal; Joan Donovan, Director of Technology and Social Change, Harvard’s Shorenstein Center; Ethan Zuckerman, Director of the Center for Civic Media, MIT. Introduction: Sam Gill, Senior Vice President and Chief Program Officer, Knight Foundation
WEDNESDAY, FEB. 26
8:30 – 9:15 a.m.: Sir Tim Berners-Lee, Inventor, World Wide Web
- Introduction: Sue Kronick, Trustee, Knight Foundation
9:20 – 10:20 a.m. : Amplifying voices from underrepresented communities
- Maria Hinojosa, President and Founder, Futuro Media Group; Jeff Hirota, CEO, Community Foundation Boulder County; Martin Reynolds, Co-Executive Director, Maynard Institute. Moderator: Jennifer Choi, News Integrity Initiative, Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism, CUNY. Introduction: Karen Rundlet, Director/Journalism, Knight Foundation
10:25 – 11:15 a.m. : Making issues move: the role of data and digital in elections
- A conversation with Teddy Goff, Founding Partner, Precision Strategies, former Digital Director, Obama for America 2012 and Ory Rinat, Deputy Assistant to the President and Chief Digital Officer, The White House. Moderator: Judy Woodruff, Anchor and Managing Editor, PBS NewsHour
12:45 – 2:15 p.m. : Creating value not content: The importance of original reporting
- A.G. Sulzberger, Publisher, The New York Times. Introduction: Alberto Ibargüen, President, Knight Foundation
2:15 – 3:15 p.m.: Philanthropic support for non-profit and for-profit legacy newspapers
- Sharon Chan, The New York Times; Lauren Gustus, McClatchy; Fraser Nelson, Salt Lake Tribune. Moderator: Nicco Mele, Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation. Scribe: LuAnn Lovlin, The Winnipeg Foundation
Watch the Knight Media Forum 2019 On-Demand
Click the icon ☰ in the upper left corner of the player to view all the available video.