FACE Detroit Summit 2016
Detroit Public TV presents Detroit Public Schools in partnership with Scholastic Metro Detroit Charter Center and Wayne State University Center for Urban Studies
Advancing Student Achievement Through Integrated Community Partnerships
The live stream has ended. The video is on demand in full here. The edited clips will be available by the end of business Friday, March 25.
The Detroit Family and Community Engagement (FACE) Summit brought area educators, non profits, government, parent and child advocates, together with national experts on Literacy, STEAM(Science, Technology, Art, Engineering,& Mathematics) education, and Chronic Absenteeism to develop citywide partnerships that support academic success for students at all Detroit Schools and fill the industry workforce pipeline. The Summit featured:
- Dr. Karen L. Mapp, Senior Lecturer at the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Faculty Director of Education Policy and Management Master’s Program. National expert on Family and Community Engagement.
- Hedy N. Chang, Executive Director of Attendance Works, a non-profit initiative aimed at advancing student success by ensuring that stakeholders understand the effects of chronic absenteeism and strategies for intervention.
- Captain Barrington Irving, the first African American and the youngest person to fly solo around the world. CEO of Experience Aviation and Flying Classroom, a STEAM based K-8 Curriculum.
Morning Session - 8:30am-12:30 PM- WSU Community Arts Auditorium- 450 Reuther Mall, Detroit 48202
- What is chronic absenteeism and srategies to address it
- Learn strategies for building student engagement through STEAM based activities
- Understanding the FACE framework and best practices