Senior Vice President, Development
ABOUT DETROIT PUBLIC TV
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, and serves the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence which has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels, and social media platforms each month.
Our core values: excellence, innovation, trust, diversity, engagement and financial sustainability are evident in everything we do. From the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees, to the local events we host, DPTV connects with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of joining our team of dedicated professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to educate, engage, entertain and inspire through the power of public media.
For more information about DPTV, please visit the website www.dptv.org.
Detroit Public TV is seeking an outstanding Senior VP, Development to lead its revenue generating efforts and promote a culture of philanthropy with our board and staff. As DPTV continues to create impact in our community, the ideal Senior VP, Development will be a commanding fundraising leader who will be an integral part of the DPTV senior leadership team.
This is a special time in history for DPTV as a new five-year strategic plan is being rolled out, and the future of the organization is evolving. The SVP, Development role offers a unique opportunity to shape the role and take the station to a new level of development and fundraising.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the CEO, the SVP, Development is an integral member of the organization’s executive leadership team and an active participant in making strategic decisions affecting DPTV and WRCJ. This position is accountable for leading the implementation of effective development efforts. This position oversees a team responsible for revenue generation through developing relationships and raising funds from individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies. In coordination with other members of the executive leadership team, this person will contribute in setting, aligning and implementing the strategic plan and reporting progress to the organization’s Board of Trustees.
- Lead a team of fundraising executives responsible for researching, prospecting, engaging, cultivating, asking and stewarding current and prospective organizations for project funds.
- Manage a comprehensive development program including major, planned and foundation giving; a comprehensive membership program; local and national corporate sponsorships and partnerships which are sourced through individual relationships; on-air pledge, membership, events, initiatives, facility/asset rentals and other channels.
- Advance a culture of philanthropy throughout DPTV by working closely with the CEO, Board of Directors, the leadership team and colleagues, to create and implement a long-term strategic plan for fundraising based on DPTV’s strategic vision.
- Serve as the staff liaison with the Board of Trustee Development Committee and work with the Committee and entire board to expand and diversify DPTV’s donor base and pipeline.
- Develop broad overall funding strategy for positioning DPTV’s program categories of early childhood, journalism, arts & culture and environment with individuals, foundations, corporations, not-for-profits and other community partners, and identify criteria to measure success.
- Ensure accurate reporting and metrics of revenue development using Salesforce; analyze data to predict future performance and ensure achievement of revenue targets.
- Oversee research of funding sources and trends to position DPTV ahead of major funding changes or trends; ensure best practices for donor research, development systems, procedures and ethics.
- Develop and steward relationships with local, regional and national funders; implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
- Cultivate new and manage existing relationships to grow funding by monitoring opportunities and interacting with potential individual, corporate, foundation and government donors. Demonstrate a strong commitment to face to face revenue development.
- Manage the relationship and hold external partners accountable to agreed upon outcomes.
- Develop and manage the annual revenue and expense budget relating to development.
- Research corporate and institutional giving opportunities for DPTV production projects to streamline and accelerate the funding process from idea stage to full funding.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Leadership experience with proven people management skills, especially in building, leading and motivating development teams.
- Decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Fundraising and/or sales experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent public speaking skills; ability to influence and build a network of long-term relationships with potential donors.
- Strategic thinker and operational leader with broad perspectives, risk awareness and problem-solving experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or related field required
- Master’s degree in Business, Marketing, Communications or related field strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience in a development leadership role, with a track record of success
- 10+ years of experience in business development including writing proposals, presenting and asking organizations and individuals for support and donations
- Experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required
- Non-profit experience preferred, but not required
- Experience using Salesforce preferred
Download job description (37.9 KB)
What you’ll get
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you are a part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community.
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day.
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development.
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome.
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties.Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 2/7/2020
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.