Video Production Intern
Detroit Public Television (DPTV) is the non-commercial, viewer-supported PBS-member station watched by more than 1.5 million people in Detroit and Southeast Michigan and another 1.2 million people throughout Canada. Our vision is for a community in which people trust public media to help them discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
DPTV offers 24 hours of PBS Kids programs each weekday, along with other favorite local and national programming and news shows, such as PBS Newshour. The station is notably active in the community producing local programs that showcase arts, culture, and news analysis using the power of media to provide knowledge and understanding.
DPTV, a 501(c) 3 organization licensed to the Detroit Educational Television Foundation and governed by a volunteer board of trustees from the local business, civic, and cultural communities also manages WRCJ 90.9 FM, Detroit's classical and jazz radio station, located in the Detroit School of Arts.
In addition to the main channel 56.1, the station also operates Detroit PBS Kids Channel, 56.2; CREATE 56.3 and The WORLD channel 56.4.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Video Production Intern in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Video Production Intern reports to the Production Department, and is mentored by unit staff. The Video Production Intern will support Producers and Studio Directors in all phases of a project: pre-production, production, and post-production. Interns will get practical and realistic experience as a production assistant.
- Prepare production communication including: rundowns, teleprompter copy, focus sheets.
- Perform research regarding production related content, logistics and locations.
- Book guests to include talent for productions and occasionally audience member for live taping.
- Assist Studio Director in timing productions and cueing talent.
- Go on location field shoots (Electronic Field Production) to provide production assistance to Producer and Field Directors related to location, media storage logging and labeling.
- Log media and prep for archiving.
- Write scripts for local productions, promotional announcements, online and social media.
- Assist in event facilitation including: audience and guest reception, venue relations and ticketing.
- Other duties as assigned.
At the conclusion of the internship, the Intern will be able to:
- Time and back-time segments.
- Cue roll-ins, preview graphics for and during live shows.
- Conceptualize, research, and pre-production of programs.
- Prepare studio production materials including: rundowns, scripts, and equipment requirements.
- Familiarity with editing process/video post-production.
- Understand video formats for television, online and mobile platforms.
- Prepare promotional/community outreach elements.
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Excellent online research skills.
- A general sense of administrative management.
- Familiarity with television production preferred.
Interns should also possess the ability to work independently, meet deadlines, take initiative, and must be able to function effectively with a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Enrollment in a university or vocational tech training program.
- Pursuing broadcasting, film, video production, telecommunications, communications/journalism, or business/marketing degree preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work mandatory 20 hours per week, minimum 3 days, with a 16 week commitment.
What You’ll Get:
- Amazing hands on experience working in the Television industry.
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community.
- Great work environment.
Intern applicants must be currently enrolled at a college or university, or have recently (within past 6 months) graduated with a relevant degree. The internship program is unpaid and focused on education and training.
Download job description (45.4 KB)
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 7/26/2019
Detroit Public Television is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.