Major Gifts Officer
Who We Are:
Detroit Public TV (DPTV) is Michigan’s largest and most watched television station serving Southeastern Michigan, the most diverse public television audience in the country. DPTV is also the state’s only community-licensed station, meaning it operates independent of any educational, government or other institution. Its funding comes from the community it serves.
Each week more than two million people watch our four broadcast channels, and nearly 200,000 people listen to our radio station, WRCJ 90.9 FM for classical days and jazzy nights. In addition, DPTV is building the next generation of public media with our rapidly growing digital presence that has grown to reach more than half a million unique visitors through our website, YouTube channels and social media platforms each month.
Our key values: trust, service, achievement, teamwork, respect, creativity and growth are evident in everything we do from the engaging content we provide, to the way we work with viewers, supporters, board members and employees to the local events we host connecting DPTV with thousands of our fellow community members each year.
Does the idea of building your career alongside a dedicated group of professionals with different backgrounds and experiences excite you? If so, we invite you to join us in our mission to provide public media that helps individuals discover new ideas, make informed decisions, and enjoy enriched lives.
We are actively pursuing dynamic and diverse team members to join us in the role of Major Gifts Officer in Wixom, MI.
What You’ll Do:
The Major Gifts Officer at Detroit Public Television is responsible for raising funds and planned gifts from major and leadership donors ($1,000+ and $10,000+) to support DPTV’s mission and operations.
- Develop close relationships with a portfolio of approximately 125-150 major donors, including existing and newly developed donors.
- Work with department management to identify prospects for this level of giving and “networks” of givers from available databases, and cultivates donors and prospects for increased support.
- Strategize the steps in the ask: participates in high-level prospecting, arranges the calls, messages, and meetings, orchestrates the President, senior managers, fellow staffers, board members, and key volunteers as needed to participate in asks where warranted, and makes or follows up on the presentations to close the gifts.
- Grow the number of major donors and the dollars raised from major donors by budgeted amounts, through a series of documented visits, solicitations, and closes.
- Demonstrate a passion for the importance, urgency, exclusivity, and power of public media to improve lives, and a desire to work in a trusted organization that serves the educational, cultural, and informational needs of the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Accomplished “face-to-face” fundraiser with a demonstrated ability to present the strategic direction and the importance of the institution to the community
- Strong knowledge of the programming and community priorities of Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM preferred
- Excellent research, written, spoken, social media, and presentational skills
- Ability to work collegially with others in the organization
- Bachelor degree in Philanthropy, Business, Communications, or related field of study or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of experience in Development including:
- extensive use of fundraising database software to capture donor information, research donor history/interests, and generate actionable lists; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- 2+ years of experience working with Board members and Sr. Managers to develop and execute an “ask”
- 2+ years of experience writing fundraising proposals or grant applications
- CFRE preferred
What You’ll Get:
As part of the DPTV family, you will enjoy a complete package of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 403(b) with employer match, HSA/FSA, life insurance, paid vacation days and paid holidays.
In addition to the benefits you’d expect, our engaging and welcoming environment is a place where you can:
- Experience the rewarding feeling of knowing you’re part of an organization committed to the greater good of the community
- Take a little time for fun and friendship. It’s not uncommon to catch people doing yoga together at lunch, conversing about their favorite part of a story during a book club meeting or enjoying a walk around the pond on a nice sunny day
- Continue to grow and learn through opportunities for personal and professional development
- Share your input, knowing that your ideas are valued and always welcome
- Be yourself! We believe your uniqueness makes you an even greater asset to the team
Download job description (40.7 KB)
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to:
WTVS Detroit Public Television
1 Clover Court
Wixom, MI 48393-2247
*No telephone calls or third parties. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of the email.
Posting Date: 5/30/2019
Detroit Educational Television Foundation, d/b/a Detroit Public Television and WRCJ 90.9 FM, is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.