Job Posting - Business Development Executive
Detroit Public Television is looking for a Business Development Executive to join our team.
Download as a PDF (94.5 KB)
Business Development Executive
No telephone calls or third parties please. Please include the title of the position in the subject line of your email.
The Business Development Executive will secure corporate and institutional underwriting for Detroit Public Television and WRCJ-FM including related digital platforms, projects, challenge grants, spot schedules, events and unrestricted gifts.
- Serve as a significant revenue generator for the organization.
- Create new corporate funding relationships with aligned corporate and non-profit organizations, with some emphasis on national development.
- Manage accounts by developing and maintaining strong relations with budget marketing decision maker from corporate and non-profit funders, including national.
- Work as a member of a team to inform sales strategies, product packages and marketing presentations for broadcast, online, event, and pledge programming.
- Effectively utilize research tools, data and storytelling to connect and create a revenue opportunity with relationships.
- Close business and meet individual established revenue goal, prepare contracts and ensure fulfillment of contract deliverables, while managing relationship throughout.
- Coordinate production and scheduling of underwriting acknowledgments, prepare reports, assist in all phases of fundraising, collect client invoices.
- Report daily sales and contact management activity.
- Attend client events, station challenge events, special events and assist with engagement events within the radio and television stations.
- Attend department meetings, sales meetings and all staff meetings.
- Artful sales skills and closer
- Excellent connector and strategic thinker
- Excellent relationship builder and owner
- Proven reputation as a reliable account manager with a focus on detail
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong influencer
- Excellent people skills, able to work effectively with other members of a team and other departments as well as with prospects and existing clients
- Ability to self-prioritize top opportunities and key needs to close revenue
- Ability to manage time and resources effectively
- Ability to work independently under pressure with minimal supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively with transparency
- Ability to contribute creative ideas
- Strong commitment to customer service and maintaining trusted relationship of the station in the community and with clients
- Excellent organizational ability with strong attention to details
- Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in broadcast sales or advertising agency sales
- 3+ years of experience in direct sales; demonstrated ability to ask for the order
- 3+ years of experience cold calling, developing new prospects, and turning them into clients for television and radio
- Existing contacts within relevant marketing and funding circles, including national
- Willingness to work irregular hours on short notice
- Demonstrated passion for Public Media: Television and Radio
- Experience with Media Audit, Data.com, Salesforce, preferred
What You'll Get
- Excellent benefits package that includes 403(b) employer match, medical, dental, vision and much more
- Opportunities to participate in personal and professional development programs
- Opportunities to serve our mission and community
- Great work environment
Detroit Public Television is an equal opportunity employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability status, marital status, military status, or protected veteran status. Employment decisions at Detroit Public Television will be based on merit, qualifications, and abilities. The specific statements above are not intended to be all inclusive.